Speakeasy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Speakeasy

Working on it

Supporting Slavery

Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Supporting Slavery Empty Supporting Slavery

Post by Wesley Crow Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Modern day slavery is a massive issue. It may seem like most slavery is dead and gone but there are 27 million people around the world being abused and traded as property. Half of them are children and 80 percent of them are women. Four out of five people in slavery are sold in the sex trade. The figures are horrifying and if numbers don't grab your heart and rip it out your chest, hearing the more personal story of a single person who was subjected to human trafficking certainly will. Now I doubt that anyone you ask will have to think twice before saying that they condemn slavery with the rest of us, hopefully, but there is a controversial idea going around about a lack of action being support. In that sense I would apparently be a huge supporter of slavery seeing as I haven't done a thing about it. Do you think that is true? I know there are a few ways we can change the fact that we are supporting it without having to donate to programs that you might not trust enough to give your money to. After all, it is all too easy to skim off the top of those charity coffers.

Someone once said that the most important ballot you cast, and the most influential vote you have is what you purchase. The slave industry is 30 billion dollars strong and is growing still. You don't have to be buying slaves to have your money reinforce the system. There is a market for it that we support by buying from companies that use sources involved with slaves. It makes the products much cheaper, but is it worth it? While only 1/5 of slaves are forced labor and the rest are in sex trafficking, that is 5.4 million people we can help by letting it be known that people won't buy things made by abusing other human beings.

Do you think that it is our responsibility to spend more or buy an unfamiliar brand because they have better work conditions and policies? If that is the case isn't it our responsibility to help those who are starving to death, and being oppressed by corrupt governments too? Is someone a worse person if they ignore the rest of the worlds problems so long as it doesn't concern them? How is it that the price of a $90 concert ticket is the same as a human life on the black market? I think if the implications of these questions make a lasting impact on anyone who takes the time to answer them, they will have no choice but to act and help in some way, shape, or form.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:40 pm