Speakeasy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Speakeasy

Working on it

3 posters

Good Anime

Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Good Anime Empty Good Anime

Post by Homura-Chan Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:15 am

I have a great love for anime and spend a good deal of free time searching for and watching any series I can get my hands on. I was wondering which series you all have enjoyed watching and hopefully I'll hear about some that I haven't seen yet so I can watch them, as I've kinda run out of series to watch at the moment. This doesn't have to be about your all-time favorite anime you've ever seen (Lord knows that if it was, you'd never hear the end of an Evangelion-filled analysis from me), but just ones that you like and would recommend to others.
    Rainkyusen
    Rainkyusen

Good Anime Empty Re: Good Anime

Post by Rainkyusen Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 am

I shall list a few i believe are worth watching

Hajime No Ippo - Boxing - a mans climb from the bottom of being bullied to as far as he can go(super awesome)

Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi - (super legit) one of my fav's

Wolf's Rain - Ill let you find out (one of my favorites)

tsubasa reservoir chronicles

Saikano(apparently world recognized as the saddest anime ever made, consider looking into it.i thought it was really good. trippy ending like Neon Genesis)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

fma brother hood

M.A.R.

Beet the Vandel Buster

BECK

Battle Royal (if they have it, personally i would read the manga)

Negima

Love Hina ( Definitely read the manga for this one, the voice acting sucked for the anime but this is my favorite manga)

The Breaker(Manga)

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru (Manga)

Psyren(Manga) you would like this one.

Jormungand

Death Note(one of the best hands down)

Air Gear

Mysterious Girlfriend X - not for the faint of heart lol. not action tho

durarara

fairytale

one piece

bleach

naruto

Here are a few. I will try to think of a few more later. i have a lot in my mind but i cant remember some of the names. All the series above i have either watched all the episodes, read all the manga, or i am caught up to the ongoing ones.
    are you interested in great anime movies?
    Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Post by Homura-Chan Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 am

I've heard SO much about Gurren Lagann, I really should watch it; I have a few friends who say it's their favorite anime. And I loved BECK, definitely was one for me considering my heart for music. I'm reading Naruto currently (I don't think I'd ever watch it, too much filler, and too many episodes in general), and I've read Death Note, which is surprisingly like twice as long as the anime. Saikano sounds really cool, anything that's psychological and emotion-filled is right up my alley. My sister's seen Mysterious Girlfriend X and recommended it too, so I'll have to look into that one.

I'm not as into anime movies as anime series, but I've seen a good deal of movies. End Of Evangelion is personally my favorite movie period, although you'd have had to have seen Evangelion first before you watch it. Howl's Moving Castle I loved, definitely the best non-Eva movie I've watched, as well as Perfect Blue (really disturbing, but very well-done). Castle In The Sky was sweet and very charming, and was Studio Ghibli first film. Of course there's Akira, which I liked but actually didn't find it as amazing as everyone says it is; still I'd see it if you haven't, it's a classic. Not that it needs to be mentioned but Spirited Away was excellent, but a tad bit slow for my taste.
    Rainkyusen
    Rainkyusen

Post by Rainkyusen Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Do you have to watch anything before watching Perfect Blue. I was interested in watching it a while ago but never did. Also, one of my favorite movies is Hoshi O Ou Kodomo. I liked it a lot and has a nice, emotional follow through. Grave of the Fireflies was also very well done and I definitely recommend it.
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 am

That is a massive list Rain. I love BECK too. It is one of my favorite shows. I don't know what it was about it but I identified with Koyuki very intensely when I watched and I just got sucked in.

I also really enjoyed Bacanno! and Durarara, though they may not be the very best they are immensely entertaining and fun to watch. I have never seen a story told so out of order before.

Full Metal is one that Homura-Chan needs to watch. It is great and is easily in my top favorites along with Death Note and BECK
    Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Post by Homura-Chan Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 am

I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist right now. I really like, but I also really don't; it's actually quite frustrating. I love the concept of alchemy and how it's used in the story, as well as the main characters (Mustang, Hawkeye, and Scar in particular). I think the story overall is great, very large in scope and intricate, as well as very good character development. However, I must say that the story is extremely similar to Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, and by that I mean the main-characters-are-weak-but-get-stronger-to-defeat-strong-enemy story, which I just can't stand. Also, all the side characters get on my nerves to no end, and I'm constantly disappointed when all of them somehow survive when I want so badly for each one to just get killed. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but it's also a pet peeve of mine when antagonists do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING over the course of a whole story, which happens much to my sadness in Fullmetal Alchemist (especially since the Homunculi are so cool). Despite all that, I am enjoying the series, although I'm contemplating finishing it because I can pretty much guess everything that will happen in the end to a 't.'

I also really want to watch Bacanno! I've heard great things about it and I'm a sucker for complicated plots and weird stories.
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm

I do agree that one of the biggest pitfalls of the show is that the enemies could easily kill anyone they wanted the whole time, but just sit around. I don't think that the people scale too much in strength though. The enemies are always insanely stronger than Ed and Al it seems. Al does get to see the Truth which makes him way more useful but only as useful as Ed, and Ed learns to use carbon to strengthen his arm but that is about it that I can think of. They do add a lot of teammates constantly though which is how they are finally able to beat the bad guys. I also kinda don't like that the major story arc is pretty much split into moral absolutes. For all that character development and story work you think they would've made the bad guys wrong but not evil.

I can picture the side characters as annoying, especially in the dubbed version. If I watched the show dubbed I may not have been able to finish it. I would recommend watching it till the end though. It would be a shame to leave it unfinished.

Baccano! and Durarara are both ones that I think you would like, maybe Durarara more than Baccano possibly.

Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Post by Homura-Chan Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 am

I must say to its credit that the dubbing is very good. Not Haruhi or Cowboy Bebop levels, but I actually haven't come across a character whose voice annoys me or seems off, which has been a surprise even to me. The morals are pretty black and white for the most part, which is maybe what they were going for, but as you said, it kinda defeats the purpose of the character development when the end results are so simple. The only character who I've seen reverse the trend is Greed, who at the point I'm at (episode 50) seems to be leaning toward the good guys' side, and is the only person who has some moral dilemmas. On a side note, Wrath and Pride should really take like, a Villain 101 class or something; they're so strong, but have been completely worthless to their own cause so far (especially Pride, who I'll argue might be one if the top 3 strongest character in the series).

I do plan on finishing it now; I've actually been wanting to watch it while at school and have an urge to see how the ending unfolds, even if it probably is a but predictable. It might sound like I don't like it, but it is one of the better anime I've seen (top 10 for sure), and the amazing characters more than make up for any development and plot shortcomings.

I'll give both a look them. I have a lot of free time, and after I'm finished with FMA and Lucky Star, both of which I'm watching right now, I don't have anything else planned.
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm

You don't find any of the characters annoying? I think that envy and Lin's, or whoever pride took over's, voice to be so frustrating. They where spot on with the major characters but those two hurt my ears. It was a mix between great dubbing and horrible for me. It was made worse by the contrast.

We really need to finish Bebop together sometime soon too. I want to see how that ends as well.
    Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Post by Homura-Chan Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 pm

No, I found MANY of the characters to be annoying, but their voices were spot on. Yes, they themselves were annoying, but for a voice to be annoying, it has to not match up with the character, so it becomes off putting when you see them yet hear them talk in a way you don't think they would. I think FMA did a great dubbing job, in the fact that all the voices fit the characters. It's actually a lot better than many animes I've seen. I did finish it and I have to say I really liked the end. I found it to be the strongest part of the series, as they let up on the filler and minor characters in favor of focusing on the true story and main characters. Plus for the most part they were acting serious, which I can't say for the earlier times in the show.

Yeah, Cowboy Bebop is a definite for us to get through; I feel bad because you and my sister have probably forgotten what's going on in the story. And we hadn't even gotten to the best episodes yet. Also, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one we could watch too. It's only 12 episodes so we could get through it quickly. My mom and I are in it right now and it looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content