Speakeasy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Speakeasy

Working on it

2 posters

Spoken Word Poets

Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Spoken Word Poets Empty Spoken Word Poets

Post by Wesley Crow Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 pm

If you do a quick Youtube search of Sarah Kay you'll find awesome in the form of spoken word poetry. I don't know what it is about her but she is my favorite, and admittedly one of the only, poets I know about. I never really saw myself getting into spoken word but I like speeches and it is merely a more artistic and rhythmic speech. What do you think?
    Rose Wylde
    Rose Wylde

Spoken Word Poets Empty Re: Spoken Word Poets

Post by Rose Wylde Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I love her! You actually "introduced" me to her Razz I really like the idea of spoken word and slam poetry; it's a much more personal and intense way to recite the work, however, I could never write anything like that. I remember once I saw this girl recite a poem (she didn't write it, she just performed) and she was amazing! Granted, she was an actress, but wow. It was really moving. Also, even normal written poetry meant for pen and paper can still be really good when read aloud. I had the privilege of going to a reading of Nikki Giovanni's poetry (Oh my gosh she is the most adorable little old lady!) and when she read her work, it was much more moving than when you read it on paper. Perhaps it's the psychological effects of actual human interaction or a visualization of the emotion? Who knows, but I like it Smile

-RW
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I have never seen spoken word poetry live but I would like to. If I ever go to New York City for a decent amount of time I want to check out the Bowery Poetry Club. That is where Sarah started poetry and I like the idea of a small poetry club somewhere in New York. I wonder if there are any places like that around here. If you know of any, you should let me know.
    Rose Wylde
    Rose Wylde

Post by Rose Wylde Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm

I know there's a place called The Bella Cafe where small music groups play every once in a while. Perhaps they also to poetry? I have no idea where it is exactly, though.

-RW
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Have you ever been to this Bella Cafe? I have a uncanny feeling that it would be near my area. I guess a little research is in order.
    Rose Wylde
    Rose Wylde

Post by Rose Wylde Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Nope, never been Razz Sorry my friend.
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 pm

How do you know about it then? Do you have friends who have performed there?
    Rose Wylde
    Rose Wylde

Post by Rose Wylde Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh my gosh, it's like you're in my mind! I've had three friends that performed there (actually 2 if you don't count that two of the three performed together...) It seems like a really cute place, very small, but a nice atmosphere... ya know?
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I do not know but I want to check it out. Thanks for the tips. I wonder if you are the only person here who has an interest in spoken word poetry, of if some people will come out of the wood works. I like your signature by the way. Do you have a favorite poem by Sarah Kay?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content