Speakeasy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Speakeasy

Working on it

4 posters

Short Love Poem

Rose Wylde
    Rose Wylde

Short Love Poem Empty Short Love Poem

Post by Rose Wylde Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

Literally wrote this in 7 minutes, but I'm quite fond of it. Comments are appreciated Smile

I am I and you are you,
    but to what avail are we?
    So strong the ties of lovers lie
    alone in company.
    If she is she and he's with she,
    what sorrow befalls he?
    For so her smile adorns his soul
    and he smiles in sympathy.
    Homura-Chan
    Homura-Chan

Short Love Poem Empty Re: Short Love Poem

Post by Homura-Chan Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 am

I really like this Rose. It's abstract, deep, and was a pleasure to read. The second half (after "company") really brought some sad imagery to my mind, but in a good way because it shows how others can connect with your work. I think "sympathy" was the perfect word choice, as I feel it doesn't resolve the poem emotionally, which makes it that much more impactful; something I think the shortness also helps with.

The first and fifth lines reminded me of the Beatles' 'I Am The Walrus,' which I thoroughly enjoyed. XD
    Rainkyusen
    Rainkyusen

Post by Rainkyusen Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 am

I find this extremely depressing but good at the same time. The phrase "alone in company" makes a lot of sense to me so keep up the good work and produce some mo' poetry. I approve of your talent!!!
    Wesley Crow
    Wesley Crow
    Admin

Post by Wesley Crow Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:30 pm

I analyzed this with you Rose and I think we got a really good read out of it. The abstract nature of it allows a good amount of interpretation, which lets more people relate to the poem than more straightforward writing would allow. May favorite and most dramatic reading of this is where the guy has cheated on the girl.

In "So strong the ties of lovers lie" the lie seems to have a double meaning, and its position on the end of the line adds a little emphasis to it. The fact that it talks about the strength of ties also doubles for how strong the consequences are for the lies of the man in the poem.

The first and fifth lines also bring attention to the man's awareness of who they are. The fact that he is dwelling on this makes me think he is thinking about his transgression and wondering how he could be so mean to this person who meant so much to him. This is furthered when the poem asks why should he be sad when he is lying with his lover. "What sorrow befalls he?"

The smile adorning his soul is just a sad and bittersweet knife to the emotions of the reader if they read it like I did. That smile that he does not deserve, and tat will be scared away when she learns of what he did.

Finally, that word sympathy at the end gives a great end to this sad poem. He is not smiling out of happiness, but sympathy for her. His sorrow can be felt behind that smile, and yet she has no idea.

Funnily enough that isn't what you had in mind when you wrote it, but as John Green says, authorial intent doesn't even matter. If you can take more from the book than the author put in, then that is simply a wonderful thing. It is not invalidated by the fact that the author did it by accident.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:42 am